A place highly revered as a family destination for over three decades is making new friends – this time in the form of female travelers. Chest bumps and high fives all around.
Beaver Creek, a perfect little 1,832-acre resort, located about ten miles from Vail makes for a sweet Colorado destination for a family, but also, in my widely traveled opinion, solo female travelers. Don’t believe me? I’ll prove it:
Reasons Women Love Beaver Creek (or at least reasons from yours truly):
- Women’s Social Tour: Brand new this season, women have the chance to ski or snowboard with a dedicated female instructor (some of the best in North America) for two hours. The tour is complimentary and the instructors will school you on the resort history, the toughest terrain on the mountain, or whatever else your girly heart desires.
Want to try one of their three terrain parks with an expert instructor to show you the ropes? Here’s your chance, every Tuesday – Friday starting at 10am (advance reservations required). A free hot cocoa break is also included and during my experience, this ended up a great female bonding time with pretty much a private snowboarding lesson.
- Best Hot Chocolate in THE WORLD. At the top of the mountain, the most fresh and chocolatey hot chocolate is served to help warm you up. Want to add liquor, go ahead.
Highly encouraged: the life-sized marshmallows. Baileys and Kahula, oh-my.
- Cookies. If you’ve got any sort of sweet tooth, don’t miss the 3pm complimentary cookie time at the base of Beaver Creek where approximately 500,000 warm cookies are served annually by the awesome chefs in the equally awesome chef hats.
First come, first served, so consider yourselves warned.
- Allegria Spa at Park Hyatt. Even if you don’t set foot on a single acre of the meticulously groomed ski-able terrain, a massage always makes for a perfect amenity, and if you have the chance to visit Allegria Spa at Park Hyatt, multiply that by 5,000. A nice sports massage after a day on the mountain is ideal. Like a spray tan for Snooki, kind of ideal.
The 30,000 square foot full service European style luxury day spa has 23 treatment rooms, a fitness center, hair and nail salon and the highly publicized Aqua Sanitas Water Sanctuary complete with a co-ed mineral pool. Perfect for the woman who loves a bit of pampering. Allegria was voted one of Conde Nast Traveler’s Top 250 Spas and Denver Magazine’s 25 Best Spas in Colorado.
- Free Shuttle Service. To rent a car or not rent a car, that is often the question. Thankfully, at Beaver Creek, the free shuttle service is like an angel sent down from above, making getting around the small town even easier.
Pretty much running all day (and complimentary), guests staying in Beaver Creek can call and snag a shuttle.
- Postcards. A handwritten note goes a long way, no pun intended. At the end of the ski day, the guest services staff (known locally as “red coats”) stand at the base of the mountain, handing out free Beaver Creek postcards.
If you fill it out and return it, they’ll even mail them out for you (talk about saving yourself a full $.28 or however much stamps have inflated to). Not only is this an amazing bonus for a trip, it’s pure marketing genius and deserves it’s own numeral.
- Food. Having a rather unrefined palate, I’m still a pretty good judge of character when it comes to tasty food. First suggestion: Grouse Mountain Grill inside the Pines Lodge, which is an elegant American Grill featuring tasty dishes of meat, game and fresh fish and has a friendly staff who is beyond knowledgeable of every dish on the menu.
Second suggestion: (especially if in town for a special occasion): Beano’s Cabin where Executive Chef Bill Greenwood serves a delicious five-course, Colorado-influenced meal, impeccable wines with live music playing nearby. The best part about Beano’s Cabin is the ride there, taking an open-air sleigh ride leaving from the base of the mountain making one of the most memorable dinners you’ll experience while in the quaint resort town.
- Direct Flights. As women, we love easy and accessible travel plans, right?
Now, ten different cities can fly directly into Eagle Airport, about 30-45 minutes from Beaver Creek. Visit FlyVail.com for more info.
- Ice Skating and Tubing and tons of other good times aside from actually skiing or snowboarding.
- Great lodging. This particular trip, I stayed at the Pines Lodge, which was the perfect compliment to the perfect mountain town. With its great service, friendly staff, lots of amenities, this Rock Resorts hotel was the perfect choice to enjoy everything Beaver Creek has to offer, no matter the season. Another bonus? Pines Lodge offers great lodging specials.
Whether you’re traveling as a solo female or with your family, Beaver Creak offers everything you need for a fab getaway.
Jayme Lamm is a freelance writer and marketing consultant based in Houston focusing on travel writing and is in a full-court press writing her hugely opinionated sports column, The Blonde Side. Be sure to follow Jayme’s travel and sports adventures on Twitter @jaymelamm.