Deer Lake Lodge: A Place for Wellness, Sanity, Disconnection, Detoxing, and More
Sure there are a number of methods readily available throughout the world wide web to share quirky detox recipes, or how to disconnect from the world successfully, or tips on regaining your sanity, or how to live a better and more meaningful life, but sometimes, coming from someone who makes her living on the Internet, we need more.
We need more than just words and accompanying photos on a computer screen. Sometimes all you need is a fresh start and a clear mind, and let me be clear – those are two things you will not find on the Internet. It’s the start of a new spring, and there’s absolute truth to what they say – healthy, inside and out, is the new beautiful.
I recently visited Deer Lake Lodge’s 50-acre rustic-chic oasis for a day and was able to see in just a few short hours why a place, a sanctioned getaway like this, is a must in everyone’s life. It’s a lodge, it’s a spa, but it’s so much more than those one-dimensional nouns. It’s a getaway from the hectic and crazed lives we lead everyday, but it’s also a place that helps you implement little baby steps of leading a healthier life in a real and impactful way. Stuff you can take home after you checkout.
For starters, the lodge itself is beautiful. It looks like something straight out of a Pottery Barn catalogue, or one of those “Bucket List Destinations” you see online knowing the odds of you making such a long trek isn’t likely, but luckily, it’s much easier to get to than Bangkok. It’s actually just 40 minutes outside Houston. Pulling up the gravel driveway, almost set in a faraway neighborhood, you have zero expectations, but as soon as you park and get a tour of the facility, you realize you are so much further away from the fourth largest city in the country than you ever thought possible. Leave your smartphones and tablets in the car and let this secluded setting and the friendly staff take over from there.
The quaint boutique is exclusive, and with exclusive, that usually means one thing: money. Deer Lake Lodge and Spa is indeed pricy (stays can range anywhere from $1000 – $2800), but I can guarantee you it’s cheaper than losing your job, or going through a divorce, or sitting through countless hours of therapy – all things that are inevitable if you don’t invest in a cleaner and healthier you. Stress and bad habits will eventually take its toll on you. This place is about wellness, it’s about learning to live a healthier life.
I only had the chance to visit for a few hours (next time I’ll stay a long weekend) and here are the things I noticed and did while on-site:
1. If and when I ever get married and if and when I decide to have a small wedding, rather than an obnoxiously large one, I want to get married here. You can rent out the lodge for a weekend wedding, and it’s guaranteed to be the most beautiful wedding in Texas.
2. All you need to create a perfect day is any combination of magazines read by an outdoor fire in the middle of the day, a heated saltwater pool, jetted spas, infrared saunas, organic spa treatments, yoga and scenic countryside walking trails. Seriously, any combination of the above makes for an absolutely perfect day. Add into the mix a bestie and consider this the good life.
3. Spending a day with nothing more than your thoughts (and the things listed in #2) will in fact reenergize your entire body and spirit. Once you get over the initial “oh my gosh! I have so much to do when I get home,” you’ll realize it can wait. Just like texting and driving can wait, so can that mile-high to-do list. Trust me. My list is just as long as yours and it waited for me. In fact, when I got home, I tackled it in a much more creative fashion than normal.
4. Indulge a little. Or a lot. And at this Montgomery, TX getaway, they aren’t talking about food or champagne when it comes to indulgence. Deer Lake Lodge is a one-of-a-kind experience being the only spa in the Southeast to offer all four services of juice fasting, colonics, body works and energy works. Your day (or week) at the spa includes juice-fasting programs along with tips on creating the most beneficial impact to your body. Indulge in a spa treatment for yourself, after all, you deserve it.
5. Try something new. For me, it was yoga. Yes, believe it or not, yoga is a new thing for me, but I enjoyed it, especially here, classes were more private. It wasn’t about who is the most flexible or who is wearing the brightest and tightest lululemon in the room, the entire resort is all about learning, and that’s what yoga was for me. If I’m going to take the time to put my hair in a ponytail and sweat, it’s usually going to be some form of cardio or a long training run, but this was outside my normal comfort zone, and something I thoroughly enjoyed. Running opens creative passages for many, but for me, it’s my thing, so I don’t open my mind or my heart to the activity like I used to. We are creative and passionate beings, we are meant to try new things.
Other spa treatments available include:
• Stimulating hair wash/scalp massage
• Therapeutic body massages
• Detoxification body treatments
• Dry brush massage
• Body splash massage
• Organic facial
• Organic pedicure and exfoliation
• Organic manicure
• Foot detoxification
• Cellulite and skin stimulation
Thanks to Deer Lake Lodge for reminding me that sometimes it’s OK to put your aggressive to-do list on the backburner (or even in the pantry) to take care of yourself every once in a while. Although I didn’t partake in the fasting portion of the spa day, I did gain many benefits from all the other holistic elements provided and shared with me that day. Until next time Deer Lake Lodge, until next time…
Jayme Lamm is a freelance writer and marketing consultant based in Houston focusing on travel writing and is in a full-court press writing her hugely opinionated sports column, The Blonde Side. Be sure to follow Jayme’s travel and sports adventures on Twitter @jaymelamm.